Blessed Sacrament Parish is a wonderfully diverse community located in the middle of historic Hollywood, three blocks from the Academy Awards Theater. Its ministry, which began in 1904, is focused both on enriching the community of faith and improving the quality of life of those it serves.
The founding of Blessed Sacrament is credited to Marie Drouet, who is also credited for naming Hollywood. By 1900, Hollywood’s population was growing but it did not yet have a designated place of worship for Catholics. Mrs. Drouet met with the bishop in Los Angeles and urged him to assign a priest to Hollywood and offered the use of her home, Drouet Hall. As the community grew, so did the demand for Mass. By 1904 the bishop recognized that Hollywood needed a proper church and approved plans to construct one. The church was dedicated on October 23, 1904, and in 1914 the church was transferred to the care of the Jesuits.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the budding motion picture industry began migrating to Los Angeles, bringing with it a massive influx of people moving to the Hollywood area to work for the studios. A new church was constructed and dedicated in 1928.
As it has for the past century, Blessed Sacrament continues to serve the greater Hollywood community through outreach to the homeless, ESL classes and Legal and Health Clinics, as well as a Social Services Center.